Friday, October 29, 2010

Safe in Port

We had a fabulous sail to the Vuda Marina on Wednesday afternoon and night, enjoying easy-going wind, following seas, and a beautiful moon beam pushing us toward our destination with twinkling stars all around. As the light filled the sky with colors, we saw hills of green, welcoming us to the dry side of Viti Levi, with vibrant blue flat seas welcoming us into the inside reef serenity. We sailed until we literally stopped, due to lack of wind, very near the marina, making the most of our last day of peaceful, comfortable cruising; it was a wonderful way to end the season, helping us to immediately forget the wet, sloppy, uncomfortable passage. YEAH!  


The Vuda Marina is tiny and we are squished tightly between two yachts, with our bow tied to the circular wharf on the outside and our stern toward the center; this is how the boats are tied for hurricane season. We are temporarily here to get everything ready for the haul-out and placement in the ground on the hard. I will send pictures that show the details. The people are great, and we do have restrooms,warm showers, laundry facilities, a little store, cafe, restaurant and bar, and drinkable water. What more could a cruiser need? 


This morning I caught a ride with Milika, the manager in charge of the yachts, to Lautoka, checked in with customs at the port, made my way to the doctor's office she recommended, and Dr. Seeto asked for David to come see her. He is still not feeling well, even though we started anti-biotics yesterday, so I was able to contact him at the marina and he did make his way downtown. He does have a severe case of tonsilitus (there is a more technical name of course [Myron] ) and I am glad she did see him; now we are taking an additional medication to help get him back to health. This captain has not been a happy camper and I can't wait for him to feel better! 


While I waited for him, I browsed the municipal market that is awesome. Wish I had my camera with me; it has been a very long time since I have seen so many fresh vegetables and fruits! It will be great re-provisioning for our next season. The influence of the Indian population offers so many tantalizing tasty vegetarian treats, and it was great fun trying them. The Indian New Year's celebration of Diwali is happening this next week, and I look forward to venturing back to the city for fun. Lots of great shopping here with many stores blasting festive chants along with offering good prices, interesting little restaurants, and welcoming citizens. "Bula!" is the Fijian welcome word and it comes with a smile from everyone. I met a local Fijian woman selling tangerine juice at the market who said her choir made a trip to LA, Santa Ana, and San Diego, singing gospel music and she invited me to come hear the singing on Sunday at the Methodist church. Of course I will love that, as well as a visit to the Hindu temples in town with chanting and festivities. Looks like I am already having a great time exploring this new culture.  Pictures will help describe it all. Love to all as we ready ourselves to come home for the holidays.                          

No comments: