Sunday, September 19, 2010

Leaving Suwarrow

Location:  S 13° 21'  W 163° 21'   We pulled anchor around 1 PM this early afternoon after spending the morning bidding our farewells to Apii and James. We had a great potluck last night after some of the cruisers went coconut crab hunting and we played some music into the late evening. David and I made up a song to the two camp counselors and everyone joined in, adding their own spontaneous talent acts; it was truly just like Camp Suwarrow was coming to a close, and the laughter and festivities made for more lasting fond memories. 


We had a great sail heading out the pass and around the atoll, with waves pushing us along toward our new destination of Niue, about 500 miles away, on the way to Tonga. It is supposed to be really beautiful and a pretty unique country unto itself. Brandy and Marc on Restless and the kids on Maui are also sailing with us, so we are with good company. The waves now have become quite lumpy, but the wind and weather are great.

I will be sad to miss the memorial service; I would love to see all the wonderful people I have befriended through Willie. Bert, Willie's best friend since college, roping partner, and fellow Stanford doctor will speak, and it would be a privilege to hear him; I am sure he is devastated by his loss as well.  Love, S

1 comment:

virginia cross said...

Dearest Suzi,

I know what you are going through, as I was not able to be in Spain with my father in June when he died.It is so hard! Love to you both. Thinking of you alot.
Virginia