Saturday, March 12, 2011

Our Challenging and Rewarding Trip Home

   Upon reflection, this last trip home, to be with family and friends, was definitely a profound one for me. The special celebration for David's 60th Birthday was just the beginning.  That special gift of friendship gave us great momentum as we travelled north to visit with family in the Bay Area. We thoroughly enjoyed being with the kids again at Jayme and Craig's house, along with David's sister, brother-in-law, nephew and wife, and of course, Jayme and Craig.  After a lovely few days with Lauren,Darrell, and Keli, and celebrating the birthday again with Billy, we drove to the incredible Gabilan Ranch for Thanksgiving and love. It is here that I leave a part of my heart always, and just having the privilege of being with everyone there, celebrating the life of dear Willie, gave me a strong sense of well-being. We left for Portland, Oregon, after a week of intense feeling, and visited with Casey and Liz. It was wonderful staying at his house, exploring the area of Portland, and having the chance to be of some help to Casey who was recovering from a snow-boarding accident. We spent Christmas in our house, getting ready to rent again with success. It was great to be back home again, just for a few weeks, play volleyball, and be with my wonderful friends.
     The last month and a half have humbled me. I was so fortunate to be diagnosed at home, where all the help I could get was available and I was surrounded by friends. With a good healthcare insurance, and great referrals from friends, I was led from one great doctor to another and it all happened so expediently. I was shocked by the news of breast cancer at first, but it was an amazing lesson for me. So many courageous women are affected each day by this, and it is easy to not really understand their plight. I do understand more now.  I was surrounded by so much love; angels came flying from every nook and cranny, and I was so fortunate the mammogram picked up this very tiny, slow growing, cancerous tumor soon enough to be able to have it removed by the latest, least invasive intra-operative radiation surgery technigue. The days of healing included being invited to stay with friends in castles, a bayside condo, and a Top of the World hill-top retreat.  I am over-whelmed by the love I receive from family and friends and that is what I miss most when I am traveling. I am so grateful to all of you who have been there for me, and I hope that I can someday give back to you.  What an amazing life I have been given. I am so lucky to be alive  Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  Suzi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Suzi & David,
Since Jessica and I didn't get to say Goodbye I would like to assure you both that we follow your exploits on the blog.

I leave for a couple months of classes in Paris ink two weeks. Jessica will join me when work is out in late May so we can celebrate our 25th anniversary where it started. If you're sailing the up the Seine - I have room for visitors.

Jim