Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fixing the Boat

This work is definitely kicking our butts!!! Forgive me for going into such detail about what we are doing, but I think that I need to write this down for my own info as well as to vent to you.  First of all, we originally were not going to be doing this work. But over the last few months George´s workload has increased with other cruisers who are here to see that their work is being done, and the rainy season's approach has intensified his need to get things done. So here we are, wanting to get on with the work, and George has only one semi-skilled worker, Alfredo, to help us get started. George was not available on the first day, so we three began the fiberglassing process with the materials David thought were the ones to use. I began, knowing absolutely nothing, but also didn´t realize David was not far behind me.  Here's what I wrote earlier:

The fiberglass we are using to fill in the holes is hard to work with and very itchy (it makes me quite bitchy!).  It's difficult to tell whether or not we are filling the holes correctly until Geo stops by to let us know about our mistakes; the epoxy goes off quite quickly as we are trying to fill the holes and sometimes doesn´t properly take hold. We have quite a few holes we did the first day, using the incorrect material first, and now we have to dig out and sand portions, add other material, and redo them. We are both learning the process, and George is so busy that he relies on the skilled workers, who only speak Spanish, to communicate with us. Unfortunately the first day, the most dense fiberglass material we should have used first was not even introduced to us. Yesterday, our second day, a friend of Alfredo´s and skilled worker who is working on a different project, stopped by to inspect what we had done our first day, and he showed us the more dense material we should have used. This is called mat and should be used first and last. It is a better filler but is very messy! It would have been nice to know this when we started. Oh well! This is a motivation for us to become more proficient at the language but a pain in the ass to have to look up each word we need to know and then remember it! YIKES!  Oh well, we are in Ecuador! I think in a few days we will be quite the skilled fiberglass workers and then we will get to move on and learn the next phase of the bottom process. 

It was quite funny yesterday working with David. We grunted and groaned because our necks were sore, my hand ached from cutting fiberglass material and feet hurt from standing on concrete all day. As I work, I tend to continually ask questions about the process, and David said with a frustrated tone,  "You´re sure a talker, aren't you!" I thought that was very funny and will have to make use of that one!  We have laughed about it often since that moment. I know he is used to workers just doing what they have been told to do and I certainly don´t fit into that mold! And, can you even imagine David not talking?  :)

The nephew of the Ecuadorian President threw a huge party after he got married last evening and the place was so festive with a fabulous live band, flowers and lights, and incredible food made by Alex and staff; we enjoyed it from a distance with new cruiser friends, after we played some intense games of ping pong. We are continuing to have some fun just to keep ourselves smiling and of course, life is good. 

1 comment:

tarini said...

Dear Suzi,
It was great to see you at Christmas! The ananda sisters back in action again.

How fun to see you blog (finally) after an intense day at school. I looked at the 09 photos and read the 1010 blogs. Everything looks very beautiful.

The fiberglass sounds hard. I remember the guys using it on fishing boats in Alaska, but I never had to work with it myself. Smelly and itchy!

I am impressed by the scope of your adventure. It makes my heart happy to think of you sailing to exotic ports. Do you see the same friends in different ports? Do you sometimes sail with other boats or always by yourselves? Love, tarini